Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Mover and Shaker Creativity Muse

Click photo to enlarge
I had a fun assignment for an online class I am taking on creativity
The task was to create a representation of your muse.
Here is what I wrote for to include with the assignment:

The inspiration for personifying my Creativity Muse did not come to me right away. I did immediately begin to think of different materials and doll making techniques that I could use. But something told me to stop and wait. Finally one day into week 3 of the program, the idea struck me. I could see in my mind a magazine article I had seen before with figurines made from salt shakers. And as luck would have it I had saved some old salt shakers from my grandparents things and had them in the garage.

The ideas began to flow. I thought it would be fun to put beads in the bottle and even write my intentions and questions on slips of paper and slip them in the bottle ~ adding more as I progressed through the program and beyond. Most exciting was when my Muse said to me, "I'm your "mover and shaker" muse! I laughed out loud.

As I made her, I loved that the head dress includes stars. The stars remind me to reach for the stars. The wire spirals remind me that inspiration comes when I put out my antennae and seek it from all around me. Inside the bottle are crystal beads to remind me of clarity, pearls for wisdom and a small jingle bell for playfulness. My "mover and shaker muse" reminds me that I am to sprinkle the star dust of inspiration upon everyone I serve and on everything that I create.

Her head is made from a miniature wooden spool. I wrapped beige thread on the spool and embroidered her face and features. I added a few seed beads for the eyes and lips. This also correlates to the fact that most of the art I am creating right now involves sewing and making art quilts. Did I really think of these things as I was making her? No, I just made her and then she "told" me what it all meant! And so here she is making her debut appearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment